Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, January 9, 2021

WORK

 On Monday, I start a new job at my old school. I left 8 and a half years ago.  Before, I taught 10th grade English. Now, I will teach 8th. 

Teaching, especially in the States and especially in the age of Covid, is a complex task requiring a wide range of skills: instructional skills, of course, but also interpersonal, psychological, and technological skills. 

In the past, my fear of failure in one or more of these areas would render me indecisive and fearful, often on a daily basis. The night before the first day of classes, in particular, was guaranteed to be largely sleepless. 

Something feels very different to me this time around. I'm not fearful. Something has changed. 

And it has something to do with my recent decision to reflect and write every single day, but I can't tell if the writing is cause or effect.

All I know for sure is that my priorities are reoriented. I can relax about teaching because teaching is not my first job. Don't get me wrong, I still understand the act of educating, whether in Indiana or Haiti or elsewhere, as being incredibly important. But I DO have even more important work:


"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then [the crowd] asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (John 6:27-29)


THIS is the number one job of every Christian. And what I know now is that when we devote ourselves to this "work", everything else falls into its proper perspective. 

I am absolutely excited to step back into the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. You have always been such a wonderful writer. May God bless you and your family as you start this new season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John. That means a lot to me. "Takes one to know one!"

    ReplyDelete