Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, January 11, 2021

21 DAY SUGAR FAST

My wife decided months ago that she wanted to do an official "21 day sugar fast" with the support of some website called Revelation Wellness. It is a strict elimination of sugar of all types (wherever they may be hiding) for three full weeks. It includes natural sugars, so even fresh fruit and all types of legumes are off the menu. 

Also on pause: barbeque sauce, ketchup, salad dressings, breads, potatoes, milk, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, brownies, and all the Christmas candy that still lingers in our house. 

I don't understand all the technicalities, but Melissa has done her research and has downloaded approved recipes and we've bought all the (expensive) substitutes for foods that contain sugar or convert to sugar. Apparently, we are planning to survive on eggs, meat, and cauliflower.

And I say "we" as I am voluntarily joining her in this endeavor because:
1) I am a good husband
and
2) I am always up for a fasting challenge.

(Fasting is an incredibly underutilized spiritual discipline.)

I do wish this particular fast was not beginning the same week as my new job, but the start date was set weeks ago and some other friends are joining her in this endeavor, so ...

This evening I am sitting on the couch after my first day of teaching since March of 2020, entirely sluggish and foggy-minded, and I seem to have just enough energy to stare at the wall and recollect yesterday's breakfast with great fondness.


A work of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment