Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, January 22, 2021

FEEDING LAMBS

In late summer, when we realized that we would not be returning to Haiti and that Melissa and I would have to start looking for other work, the one possibility I ruled out for myself was teaching in a public school. 

I loved teaching at Cap-Haitien Christian School - I had wonderful, unique students (including my own kids), super small classes, and the opportunity to speak the gospel on a daily basis. There was no way I was ever going to return to large classes in a public school, haunted by standardized testing and paperwork and unable to speak the name of Jesus openly. 

And now here I am, two weeks down and 16 to go until summer, and I am actually fearing those 16 weeks will be too short! I am loving these new-to-me students - a group of 8th graders who are a fascinating mix of vitality and apathy. 

I don't know what God's long range plan is for me. Maybe I will be at Hauser this time next year and the year after that. Or maybe I won't. But this morning I was reading in John 21 the post-resurrection story of Jesus eating breakfast with the disciples on the shore of the lake. His interaction with Peter caught my attention. 

The fact that Peter was being restored after his threefold denial of Jesus momentarily faded into the background and the main thing I saw was simply Jesus asking Peter (and asking me), "Do you love me?"

If yes, then "Feed my lambs." 

Simple.

And far beyond just having a paycheck, I found myself so incredibly grateful for Jesus entrusting me with his lambs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment