Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

SKILL VS. TALENT

 When I was a kid, I thought people were born with a certain set of talents. Some had lots of talents and some had very few. It was the luck of the draw and I concluded that I was unlucky. 

If I tried something new - especially anything athletic - and I couldn't perfect my technique within the first 10 minutes, I threw in the towel. No talent. 

It never occurred to me that the people who were really good at playing the guitar or diving or dance all started out clumsy and clueless. I had no idea that they simply stuck with it and exerted the effort to learn little by little over great spans of time. 

I wonder how many opportunities I let pass by before I learned that skill was so much more important than talent?

No comments:

Post a Comment