Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

BELONGING

 "The opposite of belonging is fitting in." - Brené Brown

I don't think much has changed about junior high social dynamics in the 4 decades since I was there as a student. The pressure to like the same music and wear the same clothes is immense. Some kids seem to have grown tired of attempts to fit in and have simply checked out socially and now keep their distance. 

As a teacher, I find myself wondering how many of my students have even one place in their lives where they feel they truly belong. A place where their personal oddities are not talked about or laughed at, but embraced and appreciated. 

If I had a magic wand, it would be one of the first gifts I would bestow on each student. 

As much as it is in my power, I am going to strive to make my classroom a place where my students belong.



No comments:

Post a Comment