Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, January 28, 2021

EASY ... AND FUN

One of the Twitter accounts I follow simply tweets a quote from the Simpsons TV show each day. A lot of the quotes would probably be funnier to me if I was more familiar with the show itself and had some context. But this one struck me as downright hilarious:



Why do we spend so much time criticizing other people? (I mean, besides the fact that it is so easy and fun.)

I have become sensitized over the past year to just how quick people are to run down a person behind his or her back. It does not seem to matter if the offender has committed a little offense or a big one, each will be a topic of conversation. Repeatedly. 

Much damage can be done in a short time. Critical words are poisonous, even in small doses. And they are poisonous to the "offender", the speaker, and the listeners. All sides are diminished when critical thoughts and words are entertained.

Lately, I have made a conscious decision to do battle with the temptation in my own heart to criticize and complain. I like to think that I have made some progress. Tomorrow I am going to make a concerted effort to say something positive to co-workers about a situation that has had me grousing lately. 

I anticipate that it will not be quite as fun or easy as complaining. But I know this: it will be good for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment