Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 24, 2021

OFFICE SPACE

Caleb returned to Wabash College this afternoon. We would appreciate prayers for him especially this semester as he is pausing his pursuit of engineering while trying to discern what path God has for him over the next few years. 

Hannah left a week ago to get back to Olivet. After having our two oldest kids with us for two full months, it is hard to say goodbye to them again. 

On the bright side, this little house no longer feels so tight. AND Caleb's departure means I can fully inhabit my new home office.

I "finished" my office creation just 24 hours before he arrived home at Thanksgiving time. The idea was hatched several months previously: I needed a home office and Caleb needed his own bedroom space while home. The solution was to carve a ten-by-ten foot room out of the large basement living room, erect some new walls, move some electrical around, and give the new room plenty of shelves, table top, and its own closet. An L-shaped couch that converts into a bed was the finishing touch to make the space multi-purpose. 

It was such a fun project, and I was unemployed, so I had time to work slowly. This was good since I was making up the design as I went and I was learning new skills (like drywalling) on the job. Many thanks to my friend Ken, who helped me with the electrical, and to my brother Spencer, who provided lots of hardware supplies at cost. (My brother Russ helped me renovate the basement bathroom, but that work deserves its own post once I get all the finishing touches in place.) 

It's getting late, so I will post just a few "before" pics and save the "after" for tomorrow.

The first is how this corner of the basement looked ten years ago:


Getting started on ripping out old wood paneling on the back wall and the lower half of all the other walls:


A huge mess:


Dry wall up and the nasty old carpet removed - to reveal glorious green and white tiles beneath!


Carpet AND tile gone and new closet going in:


The entry door and some cabinetry going in:





No comments:

Post a Comment