Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, January 25, 2021

OFFICE "AFTER" PICS

I've had just over 24 hours in my new home office and I've decided it has everything essential ... except heat and music. For now I am content to wrap myself in a blanket and play instrumental hymns on YouTube through my phone. 

I must admit to feeling a bit guilty over this space, first because Melissa doesn't have a similar space in this house (but that will change in time). Even more so, I feel guilty because I have so many friends in Haiti who could never even dream of having any room in a house all to themselves, much less a room this nice.

Maybe it's because I am an introvert, but I believe having a space that is truly yours in some meaningful sense is incredibly important. Ten years ago, before we moved out of this very house to serve in Haiti, I actually set up my stained glass workshop in a closet off our bedroom just to have a place I could call my own. 

It was functional (barely) but not comfortable or beautiful. (And probably not the safest place to operate a soldering iron.) 

I feel incredibly blessed to now have a beautiful space in which to grade homework, read, and write. 

Just now, YouTube is playing "In the Garden", one of my mom's favorite hymns and one she often sang as a solo during worship services over the years. 

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
No other has ever known

I will just say that I hope to spend many hours in my space "tarrying" with Jesus in the coming days. For now I will share some "after" pictures before I get any more sentimental tonight. 

It still needs a few finishing touches, but it's 98% finished. Here's the outside entrance to my room:


And the left end of my ten foot countertop:




The mirrored closet door does help the room feel a bit bigger.


Plus, it's got atmosphere!


Once I get into the groove with my new job, I plan to turn one of the upstairs bedrooms into a similar space for Melissa. She is being very patient as she watches me enjoy my new space. ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment