Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

GRUMBLING

 James 5:9  "Don't grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The judge is standing at the door!"

I have learned the hard way how destructive "grumbling" can be. The Greek word is "stenazete" and Strong's gives the following definition: "to complain, to groan, expressing grief, anger, or desire ... to sigh, murmur." It's running people down behind their backs. It's throwing a pity party for yourself while blaming someone else for your circumstances. It's taking pot shots at another person's reputation when they are not present to defend themselves.

It's setting yourself up as the judge and making your "righteous" pronouncements. And it is flat out evil.

(And, no, that is not too strong of a word.)

And here's how I know it is evil: Imagine looking over your shoulder in mid-grumble against a co-worker or family member or stranger and spotting The Judge standing at the door, listening in. Do you think you might shut your mouth real quick? 

As for me, I think there's an excellent chance I would shut my mouth REAL quick. 

Anyway, all this is to confess that I have been trying to be positive and grumble-free (especially in light of what has been done to me in the past), but today I failed and I know I should have kept my mouth shut. I regret complaining and my anger has passed. Instead of grumbling, I should have simply prayed and trusted that God would rectify the situation. 

Tomorrow I will do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment