Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, January 21, 2021

FORGIVE THEM

I'm not sure there is a commandment from Jesus broken more often than "If you hold anything against anyone, forgive them." (Mark 11:25)

Forgiveness is central to the Christian life and should be practiced frequently and relentlessly within the Christian community. If we find it difficult or impossible to forgive even small slights, that could be an indication of the presence of toxic self-righteousness. 

Self-righteousness stifles any nudge by the Spirit towards forgiveness of others. If I am never wrong, I don't need forgiveness myself and I am not likely to extend it to others. This mindset does not take long to do deep damage to one's relationship with God. And deep damage to Christian community.

And the problem is that I can be so sure of my own righteousness, that I don't even recognize that I myself have moved far away from God. 

It is scary to consider how utterly convinced the Pharisees were within their own minds and souls that they were doing God a favor when they demanded that Jesus Himself be put to death for His "sins". 

No comments:

Post a Comment