Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 3, 2021

THE 10/90 SPLIT

 John 2:25

"[Jesus] did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person."

It is rare for me to find a book so interesting that it is hard to put down. Much rarer still to find a book that I don't want to put down because I find its ideas literally life-changing. It is pure magic to come across words on a page that feel like locating a long-missing puzzle piece.

I'm talking about the sort of idea that grabs your mind and doesn't let go. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. And it sheds new light over everything.

This experience has been rare for me outside of Scripture, but last spring I came across a recently published book exactly when God knew I needed it most. 

Don't judge it by its cover or its title:


One of Adams' assertions that caught my attention was this:

We like to think that human beings generally operate at 90% rationality and 10% irrationality. (And we are endlessly surprised by examples of others' lack of logic.) But Adams asserts the reality is much closer to the opposite: 10% rationality and 90% irrationality. AND the more important something is to us, the more likely our words, actions and attitudes are founded on emotion and not logic. 

(Exhibit A: Facebook arguments.)

The tricky part is that it is infinitely easier for each person to recognize this 90% tendency toward irrationality in other people. Much harder to see it in ourselves. But it is definitely there.

(Exhibit B: Facebook arguments.)

The ramifications of accepting a 10/90 split on logic/irrationality are huge. I am still unpacking this idea in my own life six months later.

Undoubtedly this lack of rationality is at least part of what Jesus "knew was in each person" when He walked this earth and another good reason for Him to exercise caution in entrusting Himself to other people.


No comments:

Post a Comment