Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, October 4, 2021

WHERE THE PATH MAY LEAD

The curriculum I use with my 8th graders sometimes offers famous quotes as prompts for thinking and writing. The other day Ralph Waldo Emerson was on tap with this bit of advice:

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

The prompt asked "Do you agree or disagree? Explain why or why not." My students 100% agreed. Emerson's words do appeal powerfully to American ears.

But I'm not sure what I think. As I embark on pursuing a new degree, I am reading books by contemporary and ancient sages who have left behind them trails of profound truths. 

Before I even consider blazing my own, it is surely worth the time to explore some well-worn and orthodox paths. 

And if any of those paths might lead to a deeper relationship with the Lord, I'm guessing I won't feel the need to cut my own trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment