Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, October 23, 2021

FIFTY

Back in January, I made a commitment to myself to write something on this blog each day, but some days I feel wholly inadequate to the task of putting words together on the screen. Sometimes that is because I want to tackle a subject that is substantial and complex and I know my words will fall far short. Sometimes it is because I start too late in the day and my brain is sputtering along on nothing more than fumes.

Tonight both are true. I know what I SHOULD write about: tomorrow is Melissa's 50th birthday and so this would be the perfect opportunity for me to celebrate my wife in elegant prose - for all the world to see. (If the world should happen to stumble across this blog.) 

Maybe tomorrow I will be more up to the task!

Tonight, I will just tell you how I couldn't resist turning a clear romantic win into a flagrant loss earlier today. 

Melissa and Sarah and I decided to spend the day in Madison, Indiana, a scenic little town about an hour south of us, situated on the Ohio River. We had a slow start, so it was around 11:00 when Melissa popped out of the bedroom in a cute fall outfit, ready to head to Madison. 

I was struck anew with her beauty and I said - quite sincerely - "You sure don't look 50!"

Melissa smiled and shot back, "I don't look a day over 35, huh?"

Somehow, that triggered the dumb "dad joke" portion of my brain, which automatically opened my mouth to push this out: "Well ... you don't look a day over FORTY NINE."

Ruined the moment, but fortunately I was out of slapping range.

Anyway, here's photographic proof from today - October 23rd - the day before Melissa turns 50 - that she doesn't, in fact, look anywhere close to 50:


Happy Birthday, beautiful lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment