Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, October 3, 2021

A LITTLE PAT ON THE BACK

I haven't used this space recently to pat myself on the back for using this space, so I will do it today as October gets underway: For nine months now, I have written something to post on this blog every day. 

Admittedly, none of it would run the risk of making Shakespeare jealous, but I have shown up consistently and while I can't speak for anyone else, I myself have greatly benefited from putting my thoughts into words on a blog. Furthermore, this daily writing practice has made me more attentive to life and the world around me, and I have learned much along the way. 

One of the things I have learned is how important a little pat on our own backs can be to keep us motivated to continue and deepen any good habit. 

B. J. Fogg, professor at Stanford and author of Tiny Habits, says a little personal celebration after each completion of a new habit is crucial to wiring it firmly into our daily lives. He suggests wrapping up each trip to the gym, each flossing of the teeth, and each cleaning of the kitchen counter with something as simple as pumping a fist in the air, smiling at ourselves in the mirror, or saying out loud, "Victory!" 

Even a literal pat on our own backs can do wonders for reinforcing a new habit, or pushing an established habit to the next level. 

It may sound corny or unreal, but I can attest from personal experience that a mini-celebration can help a habit to stick, and it can motivate me to keep on keeping on. 

Try it for yourself. It might surprise you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment