Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, October 29, 2021

IT TAKES TIME

Since we're on the topic of fasting ...

In the 1700s, John Wesley observed, "Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it." 

In 2021, the good news is that we have completely eliminated half of that problem. I don't know of anybody who exalts religious fasting in any way. 

I have done a little bit of fasting in my lifetime, usually over Lent, but I have never maintained a regular weekly fast. Now, since both of my current classes touch on the spiritual disciplines, I have committed to fasting once a week - no bedtime snack after dinner on Wednesday and nothing all day Thursday until dinnertime. Instead of joining the other teachers in the school lounge, I am staying in my classroom during my lunch period on Thursdays, then, to pray specifically about my future.

I'm three weeks in and so far I can't report any profound spiritual experience. I am not even sure if I am doing it right!

Richard Foster, in his classic Celebration of Discipline, recounts the story of a man who made a two year commitment to weekly fasting. It took that guy six months to start to truly understand what fasting was about. After two years, he had a great appreciation for the practice but he still felt like a novice!

If I compare it to prayer or Bible study, I suppose I can see that it might take a while to develop "effective" fasting. I don't pray or read Scripture today like I did when I first started. 

Thank goodness for that. And thank goodness I stuck with them over time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment