Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, October 7, 2021

SUFFERING?

Speaking of Paul's second letter to Timothy...

Paul sure does circle around to the subject of suffering a lot, doesn't he?

Chapter 1, verse 8b: "Join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God."

Verses 11 and 12a: "Of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am."

He gives a specific example of his suffering in verse 15: "You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes." (And more examples in chapter 4.) 

In chapter 2, verse 3, Paul invites Timothy for the second time: "Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." 

In chapter 2, verses 8 and 9, Paul urges Timothy: "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained." 

Chapter 3, verses 10 and 11: "You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings - what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them." 

And then, Paul makes it clear that his suffering is not an exception to some sort of ideal victorious Christian life in Chapter 3, verse 12: "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." 

Everyone?

I must confess that the phrase "suffering servants" does not come to mind when I think of the American church. You?

No comments:

Post a Comment