Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

WHEN THE SPIRIT REFRAMES

How often does the Spirit reframe a familiar Scripture passage for you? And when I ask that, I am using "reframe" to describe the experience of opening the Bible, reading a couple of verses or an entire New Testament parable or an Old Testament story for the 100th time, and suddenly seeing it in a brand new light. 

A radiant light, revealing deeper truths. 

Personally, I get so excited when this happens. It is one of the things that fascinates me about the Bible and confirms it as being "God-breathed and ... useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16) 

It is also where the truth of Hebrews 4:12a becomes quite obvious: "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword." 

Another reason to get excited about seeing a passage of Scripture in a fresh way: It is a good indicator that our own spirits are currently alive to God's leading.

We're on the right track!

At times in my life when Scripture has seemed lifeless to me, the deadness has always turned out to be in my own soul. 


(P.S. On the flip side, the experience of "how did I miss this before?" ought to help keep us humble about our own infallibility when it comes to fully and accurately interpreting any particular Bible passage.)

No comments:

Post a Comment