Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, October 15, 2021

"IT'S JUST A DOG!"

That's what some stranger yelled at me a few mornings ago. 

But "dog" was drawn out to make room for as much condescension as possible: "It's just a dawwwwwg!"

I couldn't tell where the voice came from exactly, but it must have been from an open window of a house across the street.

His comment was prompted by seeing me take several selfies with Ginger as we had just finished a one mile run while the sun was rising:


I took so many because I figured if I took a couple dozen, I MIGHT end up with one where I had Ginger in frame AND I didn't have "crazy eyes". (However, I didn't think to drop the bag of dog poo out of frame!)

But my mystery commenter decided I was taking excessive photos of my dog and that I needed to know his opinion. 

It seems my "friend" momentarily forgot that there was no screen between us. 

This little incident reinforced a theory I have that, if we let our guards down, ugly norms that have taken root online will gradually spread into the real world as well.  Like poison ivy.

I feel like our screens are feeding our fallen human impulse towards self-righteousness in a big way. On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Tik Tok, we are constantly invited and encouraged to mind everyone else's business! 

Not only do we "like" other people's stuff, we feel justified - compelled, even - to tell others how we disapprove of their actions or opinions. Even complete strangers. 

We scroll and judge. We must let all other onlookers know: is this post worthy of a thumbs up or thumbs down from us?

Self-righteousness is not healthy in any form, either spiritually or relationally. And this particular strain of self-righteousness is becoming second nature to us and spilling over into real life.

The Apostle Paul taught, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (Romans 12:18)

So, remembering that Jesus could hear me, I stifled my impulses and decided to exercise self restraint in response to my unseen It's-just-a-dawwwg commenter.  

I replied loudly, "Yes, I know." And headed down the sidewalk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment