Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, November 5, 2022

IT'S NOT JUST FAITH

A local church has a sign out front which proudly states, "Faith is believing without proof". 

A few years ago, I would have responded by whipping out some Josh McDowell apologetics and declaring, "But there IS good evidence for the existence of God!"

And, yes, apologetics remain useful and there is still a place for a book like Evidence that Demands a Verdict.

Nevertheless, at this point in my life, upon seeing this church's proclamation, I only think, "When it comes down to it, what proof do I have for anything I believe about life?"

We are all supposed to reject everything outside of SCIENCE these days, but from day to day we believe all sorts of things without scientific proof.

In fact, all our most firmly held beliefs are based on feelings, stories, and experiences - far outside of empirical data of any sort.

Take love for example. In what sense do I have hard scientific proof that my wife loves me? 

Yet if you asked me, I wouldn't hesitate to say not only that I believe Melissa loves me, but that I know Melissa loves me.



No comments:

Post a Comment