Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, November 25, 2022

SERVANTHOOD 2

In the first chapter of Colossians, immediately after describing himself as a servant of the Gospel, Paul reveals yet another "master" in verses 24-27:

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church. I became its servant by the commission God gave me to fully proclaim to you the word of God, the mystery that was hidden for ages and generations but is now revealed to His saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Again, there's some incredible truth throughout these verses but I am just captivated momentarily by Paul's framing of his life as being one of servanthood to the Gospel and to the Church.

Although I find much to criticize in the modern Church, my loyalty to her has only grown in recent years. I am finding a desire to be a servant of the Church, not just a critic. 

After all, the Church is central to God's redemptive work in this fallen world, despite her imperfections. 

In fact, I have a growing frustration with parachurch organizations which circumvent the local Church. (And that seems to be the majority of them.) 

I don't know of too many missionary agencies, for example, which intentionally work with or through a missionary's home church in the process of sending him or her to the field. 

And once on the field, the missionary is too often flying solo, disconnected from local established congregations.

This is a great weakness in our missionary efforts. 

I have to say, one of the things I appreciate about my current work with Mission Resource is that we are working hand in hand with local Ghanaian pastors and churches. 

Mission Resource is a servant of the Church - as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment