Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, November 20, 2022

END GAME

I continue to struggle with modern "worship songs". 

The lyrics are shallow. 

The songs contain plenty of metaphors but little poetry. 

And, most importantly ... 

Instead of being lost in worship, I often find myself lost in thought - questioning the validity of the words I am meant to be singing.

When words are projected on the screen in the sanctuary for the congregation to sing in unison, it is implied that we are singing Truth. 

So I think the screening process should be stringent. Right?

Maybe you will say I am being nitpicky, but this one we sang this morning wouldn't get through my vetting process:



That's because I see these lyrics on screen and my mind goes ...



1)  I believe God does have "an end game" with us and it does involve an "arrival"

And

2)  What about Jesus commanding, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"?  (Matthew 5:48)

I understand the sentiment the song is attempting to communicate, but it feels like it could too easily be understood as excusing effortless discipleship.




1 comment:

  1. Our church only sings hymns out of the hymnal. Just sayin'.... :-)

    ReplyDelete