Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, November 7, 2022

WRONG QUESTION

I have been poking around a bit on Substack recently. It is unfamiliar to me as a platform, but a friend uses it as a launch point for his business newsletter, so I thought it worth checking out. Maybe it is something I could use for Mission Resource or my own personal projects.

There are categories listed on the Substack landing page from which one can choose, with dozens of newsletters for each. Most of these are subscription based, so the authors are making money from the website. 

I clicked on "Faith and Spirituality" to get an idea of the offerings and found the top paid newsletter in this category - with "tens of thousands of paid subscribers" - is one called Tipping Point Prophecy Update.

Are you surprised?

The description reads: "In this inspired newsletter, Jimmy Evans and other experts explore biblical prophecy, walking you through the many parallels between today's world and the End Times."

The cost is $7 a month. Assuming "tens of thousands" means a minimum of 20,000 paid subscribers, Jimmy is raking in at least $140,000 each month. 

(Jimmy is probably hoping the Apocalypse doesn't come TOO soon.)

Apparently the newsletter features a regular Friday Q & A. 

This past week Jimmy was asked the following:

When you say the Lord will come for His Church at the Rapture, what does that mean for those who do not have a “home” church, even though they love the Lord, study the Bible, and watch church online? Would they still be considered part of the Church when Jesus comes?

I was curious to see Jimmy's answer. Unfortunately, it is behind a paywall. And although he offers a "7 day free trial", there's no way I am giving him my credit card number ... even temporarily. 

So I will just take my own crack at answering this reader's question:

Unfortunately, you can't "watch church", either online or in person. You are asking the wrong question. Keep loving the Lord and studying the Bible, but I urge you also to find yourself a church which is more obsessed with living out an active, loving faith in the here-and-now than with end times "prophecy". 

(Besides, the Rapture is not really a thing.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment