Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

WHY NOT ME?

I took Latin as my foreign language during my high school years. Mrs. Kelley was a great teacher and she knew her subject well. She also took a group of students on a trip to Rome every summer. 

I never went.

In fact, I never even seriously considered the possibility because my family could not afford it.

But I sat in her class and watched her slides of my classmates standing in the Forum or outside the Coliseum, and I wished I could be a part of one of those trips.  

At some point in college I had a breakthrough thought: If other people could find a way, why couldn't I?

I discovered that I had often closed doors in my own face ... before the world even got a chance to. 

It is a mindset that I have battled throughout my life. Whenever I give in to "I guess that's for other people, but not for me", my life shrinks and I miss out on who knows what. But when I think "Why not me?", my life expands and I find I can do more than I had dared to dream ... with God's help. 

("Why not me?" got me to Rome just a few years after my last class with Mrs. Kelley.)


No comments:

Post a Comment