Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, December 31, 2021

RESOLUTION PRESSURE RELIEVED

One of the top lessons I learned this year was how to start and maintain a new habit. I used to drive myself a bit crazy the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve because I have long been a believer in New Year's resolutions, but I also tend towards indecisiveness. Each year as December rolled to an end, I just knew that if I failed to identify a potential new habit by January 1st, I would end up doing nothing at all.

I leaned heavily on having a firm start date and on making public pronouncements in order to bolster my willpower and help me to stick to my resolution. (Pride can be a powerful motivator!)

Honestly, it usually worked. I have a better than average track record for resolution follow through. 

But this year it is different. I now know better how my brain works and I can start a new habit at any time without concern over willpower. 

It feels almost like a superpower. 

This New Year's Eve, I have been mulling over how to introduce others to the process of habit formation - especially in regards to spiritual disciplines (like prayer, Scripture reading, and fasting) which are so crucial for spiritual formation but completely underutilized in American church culture.

It's a lot to think about, but I don't have to figure it out by January 1st. I will lean on God's timing. 


I wish you the very best in 2022!

*******

Here ends a year of writing daily. I'm guessing I will be back at it tomorrow night. It's a habit now.

No comments:

Post a Comment