Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

POISON TREE

Like thousands of other motorists on a daily basis, each time I get off Interstate 65 and head toward Columbus, I soon pass a small house with a big white sign out front that never fails to make me sigh. 

The sign has to be at least five feet wide and three feet tall, and it has been permanently and prominently installed in the yard for all who pass by to see its message: "Out on a Limb Tree Service, Andrew B______ is a thief! Takes your money and runs!"

It looks professionally made. The homeowner sees it every morning and every night. He has to mow and weed-eat around it every summer. 

And I think it has been there for at least the past decade!

Now THAT is some world-class bitterness. 

It reminds me of the famous poem by William Blake:

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend; 
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe: 
I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I watered it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears: 
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles. 

And it grew both day and night. 
Till it bore an apple bright. 
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine. 

And into my garden stole, 
When the night had veiled the pole; 
In the morning, glad, I see; 
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.


You might dream of your hatred killing off your foe, but you're the one with a poisonous tree in your garden! 

The end of the year is a great time to put any lingering bitterness toward anybody aside. Don't carry any poison into 2022!

(And if you need help cutting down your poison tree, may I suggest Out on a Limb Tree Service - they have multiple 5-Star reviews on Yelp!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment