Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, December 19, 2021

SPIDERMAN KNOWS

Tonight I saw the latest Spiderman movie at our local theater. 

It was an enjoyable two hours, and to me the best part was the theme. (I know ... I sound like an English teacher.)

But truly, (without giving any spoilers) the movie was about how Peter Parker would rather see a villain redeemed than to see a villain simply vanquished. Even one who has done him great personal harm.

And I find that a deeply Christian concept. 

It is exactly what thrills me every time I see any version of The Christmas Carol. No matter what license Hollywood takes with Dickens' story, it cannot avoid staying true to the heart of the story: a terrible old sinner getting a second chance, leading to a genuine change of heart.

Most movies assume the audience longs to see the villain get his comeuppance - and we do. 

But is there a deeper, more Christlike part of us that is even happier to see the villain changed?


No comments:

Post a Comment