Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

MASKING UP ... AGAIN

Everyone agrees that Covid, masks, and vaccinations have become irretrievably political. I am not looking to make any shocking or controversial claims here for or against masks. My gut says that they undoubtedly help some in hindering the spread of the disease. But I am the oddball who is equally suspicious of anybody who claims masks are either absolutely necessary or absolutely useless. 

But I am a big fan of autonomy and freedom and I dislike paternalism. 

Sarah was in tears last night because her school system has decided - three days into the new school year - to reinstitute a mask mandate. 

A lot of people poo-poo both the physical and mental discomfort of wearing a mask, but it is real for many individuals, including my daughter.

One thing I can say for certain: the school system is doing a terrible job of communicating this about-face persuasively. Most notably missing from their announcement is what it will take to again remove the mask mandate. 

At least give everybody some hope of normalcy. 

Under the circumstances and with such poor efforts at explanation from the district, I expect compliance to be an issue with both parents and students in the coming days. I will be anxious to hear from Sarah how her classmates react tomorrow as masking is reinstituted schoolwide. Will students fall into line? Will they resist? If so, will enough individuals resist to cause the school major headaches? 

There's a real possibility the school is about to activate some leaders among the student body.

Or not.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment