Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, August 14, 2021

DEBATING MYSELF

Third period each day I teach "Communications" to a handful of 7th graders. They are a really neat class so far. 

Yesterday I asked one of these students what she had planned for the weekend. 

She said, "Well, I SHOULD clean up my bedroom, but I might just debate with myself."

What did she mean by debating herself?

"I debate myself over my room. I don't want to clean it, but I feel really good when it is clean."

I thought that was incredibly perceptive, especially for such a young person: Procrastination involves debating myself. If procrastination is a habit, then I am endlessly debating myself.

And if I am successful in putting something off, I have won a debate ... against my better self.

No comments:

Post a Comment