Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

STEPPING OUT

During the moments before and after each class throughout the day, my fellow teachers and I are supposed to step outside our classroom doors into the hallway to keep an eye on the students as they travel to their next class. We are there to assure there's no funny business.

I don't think I EVER did it last year. I would get too wrapped up in making preparations for my next class. 

This year I am making a conscious effort to get into the hall. It's one of my new professional habits.

It has been a fairly easy habit to establish, too, because it is actually enjoyable. For instance, there is a 7th grade boy whose locker is opposite my door and he really struggles with his combination. He has often given me a play-by-play of his frustrations, but today he was claiming victory over the lock. And he was so proud.

After school today an older student walked by. I didn't recognize him but he stopped and asked, "Are you Mr. Gross?" With my confirmation, he continued, "My little brother has you in class and says you're his favorite teacher so far. He says he has never liked an English teacher before." 

Do you know anything as uplifting as a second hand compliment? To know that someone is talking about you - and saying GOOD things? Wow. 

And I would have missed it if I never stepped out of my classroom. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good job, Mr. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Never forget - my kids said very similar things about you and history and Bible! Repeatedly. They still bring you and your classes up on a regular basis.

      Delete