Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, August 19, 2021

13th GRADE FOR SAMUEL

We helped Samuel move into his tiny dorm room at Ball State this evening ... and Melissa and I shed a few tears in the process. 




Here's the letter I left in his dorm room when we departed: 


Dear Samuel,

I assume you know that my jokes about getting you out of the house recently are just a coping mechanism for dealing with this moment. It doesn’t seem real and it doesn’t get any easier with each kid who leaves the nest.

I want you to know how proud your mother and I are of you. You are a unique young man. I have never known anyone else with your mix of good humor, brains, faith and compassion. I have been amazed to see how you jumped into a senior year at a new school and made the most out of the opportunities it presented. Maybe it wasn’t easy for you, but you certainly made it look that way. I also admire how you pursue various interests and teach yourself whatever you want to know – from computer languages to chess.

I think your choice of friends also speaks so highly of your character. They are a good group and, like you, they seem to be leaders rather than followers. Your mom and I have also been so impressed with the maturity of your relationship with your girlfriend. She is a sweet young lady and we will be curious to see where God takes that relationship.

We are going to miss you around the house, but we know it is time for you to head out.  As you get started at Ball State, keep your head on straight and keep close to God. I will be praying that you find a solid Christian community to be a part of – a church or campus Bible study – and that the Lord surrounds you with good and faithful friends.

Never forget how much you are loved from home and from heaven!

With Love and Admiration,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment