Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 168 - LeMars Bulldog Mug, Saudi Arabian Necktie and Dead Seahorses (Throw ... though Melissa may take the seahorses to school to do who-knows-what with)

Here's an oddball assortment of treasures I uncovered as I brought tubs out of the storage barn for this weekend's garage sale (and, believe me, I am just getting started on the oddball treasures here).

The seahorses were from my summers in Saudi Arabia ... I think (darn lousy memory!).  I found them scattered up and down a beach one morning.  Thousands upon thousands of them drying in the sun.  They are perfectly preserved little exoskeletons.  And you know what?  Surprisingly, they don't smell bad.

The necktie is obviously from Saudi Arabia - no memory skills needed for that one.  It's the same pattern as the "headscarves" worn by the Saudi men. (Ummmm... don't remember what they really call those headscarves, but I have one of those too, out in the garage.)

(OK... just googled it and that "headscarf" is called a "shumagg" and I feel a bit better about my memory because I never knew that in the first place.)

And the mug was from my time as youth pastor is LeMars, Iowa.  That was my first youth ministry position after my training with Tentmakers (which was just after graduating from Wabash College).  Yup, I was a LeMartian for about 3 and a half years!  I loved LeMars.  And I loved the LeMartians.  But I have no need for another plastic cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment