Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 183 - Fan Fare Art Plate (Give)

I learned my lesson with giving away my 1970s era Cincinnati Reds Scorecard and THEN looking up its value on-line.  So I did some checking on this little beauty and found out it was worth ... maybe 12 dollars.  Oh well.

I found someone trying to sell two of them for $25 ... or best offer.  So it doesn't seem to be in high demand.  But I did find out that it was a popular sports-themed comic strip by Walt Ditzen and it ran from the 1940s until his death in 1976.  So the thing is at least 25 years old.

I got it (I think) from my Grandfather's house after his death, along with a few other odds and ends.  (I think that's also where I got the walnut-shaped nutcracker, come to think of it.)  But I never knew my Grandfather to be a golfer and it doesn't particularly remind me of him, so it's just another item that can be let go.

AFTER I discovered that it's not some rare, valuable antique, I have decided to give it to one of my students.  This young man is really into golfing.  In fact, he recently wrote a 4 page research paper on why golf balls have dimples.  (I haven't graded it yet, so I can't pass on the reason why golf balls have dimples at this time.)  He'll probably appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment