Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 120 - Change Buckets from Vegas (Throw)

MGM Grand.  Caesar's Palace.  The Venetian.  Mandalay Bay.

I'm not even sure which trip to Vegas these cups represent.  I think I've been three times.  I don't gamble, but I do get a big kick out of just walking around Las Vegas.  It's a people-watcher's paradise.  And a bizarre Disney World for adults.  No place else compares.

These cups were just sitting on a shelf in my closet and I went looking for something easy to throw since I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with the whole Throw, Give, Sell thing - but also didn't want to break my streak.  It has occurred to me ... that, at 120 days into this experiment, I am still mainly giving up things (like these cups) that I don't really use and have ZERO attachment to. 

The time is coming when I'm going to have to get more serious about this.

I read in my Bible recently the Parable of the Sower.  The third place the seed was scattered really struck me this time around:  "Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain." (Mark 4: 7)  This is the first time I've noticed that this soil DOES result in a plant that survives (unlike the path and rocky soil) but the plant does NOT accomplish anything worthwhile with that life.  In verse 19 Jesus explains this soil: "The worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful."

It's still hard to let go of THINGS, so I pray that at this point in my life that I would grow more and more desirous of being fruitful and less and less desirous of being comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment