Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 127 - My Old High School-Era Artwork (Throw)

I was cleaning out the garage yesterday during final preparations for our Open House.  The leaky garage roof got fixed a little too late to spare my artwork stored in that particular corner in a cardboard box. 

It was all moldy.  Smelled terrible.

So it made it easy to part with.

But I thought I'd take a few pictures before I tossed it so I could share my artistry with the lucky handful of people who look at this blog! 

For your viewing pleasure:

A pencil drawing based on a photograph taken my junior year of high school.  I was part of a church trip to New York City and Washington D.C.   We were from the United Methodist Churches of southern Indiana.  On the left is a friend from my home church, Byron Brown.  I don't remember the vaguely Martin Short-esque guy's name, but I believe the next guy was Jay and then John and, I believe, Steve.  The pic was taken at an ice cream shop in D.C.  called "Steve's Ice Cream".  A bit of 1980s Indiana public broadcast trivia: John was the voice of "Charlie Churchmouse". 

Pen and ink based on a photo from my childhood.  That's me with a huge bandaid on my forehead after brother Spencer tripped me, resulting in my splitting my head open on the leg of a table.  I still have the scar.  I don't think he ever apologized.

Acrylic paint.  It's tough to work with because it dries so quickly. I actually kept this one.

Dats and Ida liked this one.  It's Luke Skywalker battling a swamp blob in a cavern.

I love birds.  This was actually transferred to paper from ink on an etching.

I found a couple of posters I did for our high school plays.

The duck, the butterfly and the rabbit are all screenprints.



Pen and ink and wash.  This was based on a National Geographic picture, if I remember correctly.

Charcoal.

Shoes??


An attempt at a cartoon.  The room shown is based on my actual childhood bedroom.


Scratchboard - it's like posterboard that is coated with a layer of fine white clay and then black ink.  So you create the image by scratching away the black.  I was always fascinated with the space shuttle.  It's hard to believe the shuttles are being retired now!
So there you go.  I didn't include everything I found, just the ones I wasn't totally embarassed by!  For example, I found a couple of images I created in a college art class when we were studying abstract art.  I just didn't get what made something "abstract".  And it's pretty obvious.  That's when I dropped my Art minor.  Because, in reality, I was pretty decent with the technical aspects of "art" but I don't know that I ever really had the SOUL of an artist.  A bit too conservative and reserved, I suppose.

It made me a bit sad to throw it all away, but not so much because of the parting, but because of the reminder of how little artwork I do as a guy in his 40s...

Maybe Haiti will inspire me.  And, who knows, maybe I'll even have the chance to teach some art classes at the missionary school... and that might give me a reason to get back into it myself.

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere I probably still have a copy of the rabbit. You really should find some time to pick up art again. You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You really think you have a copy of the rabbit? That's funny. I wonder how many exist? Time is certainly a factor ... but so is ENERGY! Not to mention space. I have a closet here with all my stained glass supplies in it and even a little desk top ... but it's still a CLOSET!

    ReplyDelete