Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 117 - Pacer's Cup (Give) and Fat Tuesday

I got this Pacer's cup when we took the kids to Disney on Ice a few weeks back at Conseco Fieldhouse.  I paid a little extra in order to get refills since we had four kids and two adults sharing a drink!  I think it was around $6 (not sure exactly since I tried to block out the memory of paying that much for what my Dad used to always call "sugar water"!). 

If I understood the deal correctly, part of what I was paying for was UNLIMITED refills - for the entire basketball season.  If you know me, you know that was worth exactly zero dollars as far as my plans were concerned.  But they've announced at school a special Student Day for a Pacer's game over spring break - free admission.  I asked around today and found a sophomore who was planning to attend and I told him I'd give him the cup.  So it might not look like much of a Give, but - depending on how thirsty my young friend is - it could be worth ten to twenty dollars!

It's not as if we have a shortage of plastic cups in our kitchen cabinet at the moment anyway.

In other news...

I had my own little Fat Tuesday experience today.  I totally understand the mindset now. 

Every year I try to come up with something to give up for Lent.  I like it to be challenging.  I've given up meat.  I've given up ice cream.  And I've given up chocolate. 

Giving up chocolate made me cranky.  Giving up meat really inconvenienced my family (Melissa felt like she had to change her cooking). 

So ideally I would like to give up something this Lent that is challenging to me but without inconveniencing anyone in my family.  And after reading "Hole in Our Gospel" recently, I am considering going through the school day without eating.  So many people around the world feel fortunate to get even one meal a day.

Not eating during the work day would actually be a good thing for my health, since most of the eating I do while at school is snacking: potato chips, cashews, candy bars and M&Ms!  I have an entire filing cabinet drawer full of junk food.  I don't usually eat a normal lunch - the most nutritious thing I eat is a protein bar.

So I think that is what I have settled on this week ... which brings me to my Fat Tuesday experience today.  Throughout the school day today I consumed quite a few chips (salt and vinegar!), finished off a bag of M&Ms and munched enough Oreos to make me sick.  I rationalized it as an attempt to reduce future temptation (there's still a box of Triscuits in the drawer - not much temptation there!), but it was really a great excuse to pig out for the day.  I don't feel so great tonight.  Blahhhhhhhhhh.

I'm curious about your views on Lenten fasting:  Have you ever done it?  Is it worthwhile?  What is the value?  I know how I'd respond to those questions, but am interested in your perspective.  Leave a comment if you've got a thought to share....

3 comments:

  1. Growing up, fasting seemed like such a Catholic thing to do. I've talked to some people who fast and comment that it helps control their weight. Or that they skip breakfast and don't really notice that they are fasting. Or they give up something that has a relatively equal substitute. For example, they can't have cookies but they can have cake and brownies. It seems that these people are missing the point. Or they have an ulterior motive to improve their health while crossing off fasting on the "things to do to be right with God list." Which is my quandary - obviously giving up dessert would be a sacrifice for me; but would I feel that as a sacrifice for God or an opportunity to shed a few pound?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I don't know all the spiritual ramifications of fasting, but there are obviously wrong motivations for doing the right thing at times. Even Jesus had to warn people who are fasting not to go around with a sour face in order to get recognition - which, along with shedding pounds, is another major temptation in the wrong direction for fasting. But all in all, the benefits seem to outweigh the pitfalls, I think. Did you give up anything yourself this Lent?

    I also used to think of fasting during Lent as being only "catholic" but it seems to me that over the past few years more and more protestants I know give up something for Lent. Wonder where that trend is coming from ... or if it's just my imagination? I do think fasting in and of itself is a spiritual discipline that has been largely forgotten. We need to learn about it and practice it correctly, afterall, Jesus said "WHEN you fast..." not "IF you fast..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked David if he was going to give up something for Lent and he said ice cream. So I am joining him in this. And I REALLY would have liked some ice cream this afternoon as Anna and I were out well past dinner time and the obvious snack would have been ice cream. But we came home hungry.

    ReplyDelete