Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, December 14, 2023

NAIL THAT POTATO TO A CROSS

While listening to a James Altucher podcast, I heard Scott Adams say something simple, true, and profound:

"Your ego is not your friend."

Adams then went on to explain how much of our fear day to day is due to our efforts to protect our egos from harm.

His suggestion? Put your ego into proper perspective. Do not overvalue it.

He illustrated the concept with a word picture: Imagine you are asked to deliver an object to a business across the street.

First, imagine that object is a Rembrandt worth $40 million. 

You would be nervous and thoroughly stressed. On high alert. Eyes darting this way and that, watching for approaching danger. Even for a short distance, it's a huge responsibility. There is risk involved.

But now imagine the object you are asked to deliver is an ordinary russet baking potato. No stress in the least. As you walk, you are tossing it in the air and catching it again. If you lose it or damage it, the worst case scenario is spending a dollar on a replacement.

So Adams recommends valuing your own ego like the potato instead of the Rembrandt. 

I think Adams is inches away from an important New Testament principle.

Jesus, I believe, takes ego valuation one step further. 

He says, "Pick up your cross and follow me. Whoever wants to save his life will lose it. But whoever loses his life for my sake will gain it."

Paul says, "I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me."

I think they are talking about egos here. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment