Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

2 HANDSHAKES

Maybe it's a combination of end-of-year musings with the reality of now being in my mid-50s, but today I was thinking about how short history is.

When I was younger, I thought 2,000 years was a super long time - in fact, a suspiciously long time - to pass without seeing Jesus' Second Coming.

Nowadays, two thousand years seems quite a bit shorter.

Just as a thought experiment this morning I did some math and realized it would be possible to have only 2 handshakes separating me from George Washington. 

Say Washington shook the hand of a 3-year-old boy even before the American Revolution. That boy could have lived through the Civil War and beyond. And what if he had shaken hands in 1879 with a 3-year-old girl who then also went on to live to a ripe old age and shook my hand when I was 3 in 1971?

Just two handshakes could separate me from old George, the father of our nation! 

Time flies. 

No wonder God laughs at the scheming of the nations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment