Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

You know how Paul writes that incredible definition of "love" in 1 Corinthians 13? Love is patient. Love is kind. 

And all that.

Well, I wish he had done the same with the word "faith". I am just not sure I completely understand the word as it is used throughout the Bible.

Some people have no faith ... and that makes sense. But some have "great faith" and some have "little faith". Why is that not worded as "more faith" and "less faith"? 

And as I am reading slowly through the book of Matthew, it seems like "understanding" is a closer synonym to "faith" than either "belief" or "trust" would be. 

Like in the passage in Matthew 16 I quoted here two days ago. The disciples forget the bread and think Jesus is getting on their case when he warns them to "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees." 

Jesus says to them, "You of LITTLE FAITH, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not UNDERSTAND?"

The closest we get to a 1 Corinthians 13 for "faith" is the definition given in Hebrews 11:1: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."

That doesn't completely clear it up for me!

I just want to make sure that I am tracking 100% with what Scripture means exactly when it speaks of faith.

Seems like that's important ... 

1 comment: