Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

COME!

I spent my morning chewing on the story of Peter joining Jesus on the water (the version in Matthew 14) and I don't feel like I am finished with it yet. It strikes me as a really important story and I don't think I have quite gotten to the heart of it. 

It occurs right after word of  the beheading of John the Baptist reaches Jesus. He tries to find a solitary place to pray and process this information. But the crowds find him and, instead of alone time, Jesus spends the day preaching and teaching over 5,000 people. 

The afternoon concludes with the miracle of the feeding of the 5,000, after which Jesus "makes" the disciples get into a boat and "go on ahead of him to the other side" of the lake, dismisses the crowd, and hikes up the mountainside alone to pray.

Sometime between 3 and 6 am, Jesus walks out on the waves to the boat. The winds are against the boat and it hasn't made much progress toward the other side. 

When I make the effort to visualize the scene, it sort of makes sense why the disciples think he is a ghost. It has to be dark. Those who are awake are exhausted and nervous about the wind. Probably frustrated and confused about what they are doing. And where the heck is Jesus, anyway?

Then, in the darkness behind them, they see movement over the water. It is definitely approaching. The wind is whipping Jesus's robe all around. 

I wonder if Jesus is laughing at their panicked cries for help. He calls out, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

What in the world possesses Peter at that moment to ask to join Jesus on the waves? And why does he phrase it this way: "If it is you, tell me to come to you on the water"? 

There's no practical purpose. Is it just for fun? 

And Jesus says "Come". How I wish Matthew had included an adverb here! HOW did he say that single word?

No comments:

Post a Comment