Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, November 7, 2021

DEBATES

A friend posted a video on Facebook about a week ago. I checked it out and it led me down a rabbit hole of various podcasts by a guy named Dr. Leighton Flowers. (Thanks, John!)

Dr. Flowers has a YouTube channel called Soteriology 101. From what I can tell, it is 100% dedicated to debating Calvinists. 

I might be weird, but I enjoy watching theologians fight. If you are not up on your theology terminology, remember that "soteriology" is simply the study of salvation. 

How is salvation accomplished? Who is capable of being saved? Why are some saved but not all? 

These are all important discussions within the church and the answers vary widely! 

I grew up in the United Methodist Church with a Wesleyan understanding of salvation. I was never aware of how differently Calvinist form their soteriology. Not even during my seminary years - when I should have been!

Now Calvinist beliefs fascinate me. The differences are NOT minor. In this debate, somebody is right and somebody is wrong - in a big, big way. (Of course there's always the possibility that BOTH are wrong.)

I have good friends and family members who are staunch Calvinists, but I am of the opinion that Calvinist beliefs, taken to their logical conclusions, make God into a monster. 

So it's a big deal. But I also believe that most Calvinists simply do not see the logical conclusions the same way I do.

And perhaps I am the illogical one. I can't say for sure. 

All I can say for sure is that theological debates - like most other debates - seldom move anyone to admit their stance was wrong. And when theologians end up jeering at each other online, it is entertaining, but it is also counterproductive to changing the opponent's mind. 

Quite unChristlike, too. 


(P.S. I am not implying that Dr. Flowers jeers his opponents. I actually find him quite calm and generous towards his theological adversaries, but that may just be my own bias leading me to conclude that.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment