Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, November 27, 2021

A GOOD QUESTION

Simplicity was at the heart of my most memorable and useful accountability group experience during my lifetime. I met weekly with two close friends, Tim and Jamie, during my days at Asbury Theological Seminary during the late 1990s. 

More precisely, I should say that we met weekly as an accountability group, because outside that particular hour, we met daily and even hourly as friends. (Tim was my roommate and Jamie lived in the same dorm and the three of us regularly worked together in a youth ministry context.)

When we gathered together for accountability, though, we spent the hour asking each other about our progress in various aspects of our lives: relationships, spirituality, academics, and physical fitness.

Our final question each meeting was the one that fascinated me and proved so profoundly practical:

"Where have you heard the still, small voice of God during this past week?"

Here is the simple beauty of that question: Broadly speaking, there were only two possible answers. Either I had heard God say something over the previous week or I had not.

If I felt God had spoken to me, it was a great reminder of his faithfulness and a testimony to my friends.

If I could not think of any word from God over the past week, it was a red flag which spurred me on toward greater intentionality in my relationship with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment