Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, September 28, 2024

IN CONCERT

Forgot to hit "publish" last night! ...

Melissa and I went to see Amy Grant in concert tonight in nearby Nashville, Indiana. Meeting my brother Russ and his wife Alecia for dinner before going to see Grant sing some of her biggest hits, a few covers, and some of her "new" songs made for a very pleasant evening.

The last time I saw Amy Grant in concert was over 30 years ago. I was a youth pastor in Le Mars, Iowa at the time and - if memory serves me - we drove to Minneapolis to see her performance.

Amy is a 63 year old grandmother now. Still, she sang and played the guitar for almost two and a half hours. I noticed that not too many fans themselves were under the age of 50.

In between songs, Grant came across as warm and transparent, admitting she hasn't had a hit song in some time and relating challenging moments from her life like the day she agreed to accompany her adult daughter to her therapy session. 

I found it curious, though, that she didn't have much to say about her faith or her God. In fact, by the time intermission rolled around, I was considering Googling "Is Amy Grant still a Christian?"

But eventually Grant sang El Shaddai and it came across with so much power and emotion that it brought tears to Melissa's eyes. She said she doesn't remember giving a concert without singing it and she noted how the song has been with her now through significant changes in the seasons of her life.

It made me wish I could sit down with her to hear her faith journey over the last 40 years plus. I bet she has some fascinating tales.







No comments:

Post a Comment