Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, September 21, 2024

BEATING US TO THE PUNCH

Jesus carries the language of God "choosing" people from the Old Testament times right into the New.

For example, in John 15:12-17. 

12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

One of Calvinism's favorite prooftexts are the words of Jesus in verse 16: "You did not choose me, but I chose you".

Stripped of context and placed in the mouth of a standoffish and scolding Son of God, the words come across as Jesus making sure His disciples remember their place: “Listen – keep it straight – don’t you ever forget that I am the One who chose YOU. Not the other way around.”

And because this sentiment is befitting of Calvinism's grouchy, demanding God who is having a bad eternity (of His own making!), and Who is eager to remind even His elect that they are sinners and He is perfect and glorious, I don't know that Calvinists ever consider alternative interpretations of this verse.

But look at the surrounding verses - in other words, the context of this conversation Jesus is having with His disciples: "You're not servants now; you are friends. We are building this Kingdom together and I want you all to love each other deeply as we move this Kingdom forward." 

Could it not be possible that this is a deeply loving Jesus who is intent on building up and encouraging His disciples? What if "You did not choose me, but I chose you" means something like:

“I beat you to the punch. When you decided to start following Me, you thought you were choosing Me – but I had already chosen YOU.” 

Call me crazy, but I prefer to think of Jesus as being the very embodiment of God's love - the One who chooses us before we even are aware of His presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment