Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

TWO SERMONS

For years I worked alongside a pastor who made this claim about his own preaching: "I have only two sermons - maybe three - that I preach."

He did not say this as a confession. 

It was a boast.

I wanted to tell him that I had noticed this. 

That everyone noticed this. 

I loved the guy. His heart was in the right place. But preaching the same two sermons over and over? What a missed opportunity.

(I hesitate to say "dereliction of duty" only out of friendship.) 

It is not as though a preacher ever lacks material.  God's word contains more wisdom than a person could grasp in a lifetime. 

And there's no time for slacking. Paul's command to Timothy is meant for us as well: "Train yourself for godliness". (I Tim 4:7)  

For the sake of the believers in their care, preachers must enter the pulpit each week with fresh teaching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment