Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, December 5, 2022

A BIBLE STUDY PRACTICE TO RECOMMEND

In October 2021 I started a Bible reading habit that has benefited me more than anything else I have done in my life to strengthen my spirit.

Including going to seminary.

I am not exaggerating. 

The best part is the simplicity: 

As I read Scripture, I write it. And as I write it, I look for key words and how the sentences are structured. I try to represent relationships between words and ideas in the way I write the verse out on the page. Sometimes I write out my own thoughts and questions on the opposite page or in brackets. 

That's it. 

It ends up looking something like this from Colossians 3:5-7 this morning:


I am all for those programs that help you read through the entire Bible in a year. That's a great practice to get an overview and to see all the different flavors of different books.

But my new practice is not about speed and coverage. It is about depth. 

Taking notes forces me to slow down and digest each word and each sentence. Scripture is so dense with meaning that it is taking me weeks and even months to get through a single book. 

But each morning is full. 

The results are far greater than the small amount of effort it requires. 




No comments:

Post a Comment