Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

BANISTER

The half flight of steps leading from our front door down to the basement used to have a banister. It disappeared almost two years ago when I renovated our basement.

Finishing the steps and replacing the banister should have been done a long time ago. It is the sort of project I referenced in yesterday's post - one where I procrastinate endlessly because I don't know up front how to do the job perfectly. 

Just over a week ago, on a Monday morning at 6 am, Melissa - still bleary eyed and carrying a mug half full of coffee in the dark - missed the last step as she was descending. 

There was a loud crash and a scream. When I turned on the lights, I was relieved to see coffee had been spilled, but no blood. However, there was a semi-serious injury: the pinky toe on Melissa's right foot was now perpendicular to the other toes. 

We are thankful her fall wasn't any worse. But it also could have been better. I can't help but think a banister might have saved us a trip to the ER and a whole lot of pain. 

Time to build a new banister. 

I just need to find a starting point, get some momentum, and then revise as I go. 

Maybe it can be my Christmas present to Melissa. A banister and a new coffee mug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment