Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, December 10, 2022

REWARDS

A few nights ago I had to make an "emergency" run to Walmart for some milk, cookies, and ice cream. And some googly eyes - for a reindeer craft the next day in Melissa's kindergarten classroom. 

It was the first time I have ever made such a run to Walmart that I did not regret in some way. In fact, I came home in a good mood.

And this good mood had swept over me suddenly in the ice cream aisle ... where I found a crumpled twenty dollar bill on the floor. Ownerless.

And that twenty more than covered the cost of my Walmart run.

Which made my penny-pinching heart happy.

I only relate this bit of good luck because a tiny follow-up event caught my attention and appealed to my interest in habit formation.  

Here's the follow up: this morning I had to make yet another Walmart run. This time for motor oil. 

After grabbing the oil, I swung through the grocery section to get some cashews. 

On my way to the checkout, I had to pass the ice cream aisle, and as I did, my head pivoted - quite unconsciously - and my eyes quickly scanned the floor. 

In that moment, I realized my brain was hoping to find another twenty there. (No such luck.)

Here's the connection to habit formation: We think starting a new habit is difficult - involving so much discipline and willpower. But I was reminded this morning that our brains are primed and ready to repeat any action that gets rewarded. 

Even without conscious effort on our part. 

If you want to start a new habit, one key is to make sure you reward yourself immediately after taking the new action. 

Your brain will notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment