Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, December 15, 2022

ONLINE DIAGNOSIS

We take it for granted, but the internet is a wonder. All that information at our fingertips!

Here's a story of medical self-diagnosis by internet that I believe is valid. If I am correct, I have a condition that only 1 in 10,000 ever suffer from. 

The hearing in my left ear has steadily diminished over the past few years. The volume is fine, but there's a lot of interference. Melissa finally convinced me to see a doctor about it. (I agreed because she has really good health insurance for the family now, so it was cheap even by my standards!)

The doctor was puzzled because my symptoms didn't match his observation. My ear feels and sounds as if it is perpetually filled with fluid - my voice echoes in my ear and I can hear my own heartbeat. (Both are quite annoying!)

But the doctor said: no signs of fluid or infection. He gave me two pill bottles and a nasal spray to take home and a "Come back in a few weeks".

I know doctors smirk at patients who diagnose their own ailments via Google, but after my doctor visit, it finally occurred to me to search the internet for answers. 

It turns out I have all the symptoms of a patulous eustachian tube!

A normal eustachian tube drains into the throat through a small valve that pops open a few times a day to regulate air pressure and drain any fluids that might accumulate. 

I looked it up: "Patulous" is a fancy word for "wide open". 

My eustachian tube remains open 24/7, allowing sounds from the inside - my voice and heartbeat - to reach my eardrum. 

The internet suggests I try extra hydration and cutting out caffeine before pursuing any medical solutions and that sounds wise to me. 

I have often claimed to be free of addiction when it comes to coffee - that I can take it or leave it. 

Now I will find out for sure. 

Thanks, internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment