Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, December 26, 2022

STRUGGLING TO LEARN

For me 2022 is ending with me neck deep in homework I have two papers due at the start of January.

It's annoying, but also kind of fun, because, as I wrote the other day, learning IS fun. 

I have two advantages as I face these papers, and they are tied together:

1) I am interested. 

    I find both topics fascinating. (One is on the question of whether Jews, Christians, and Muslims can be said to worship the "same" God. The other is on the roots of woke ideology.

    I realize that makes me sound like a complete nerd, but they are both fascinating topics once you dig into the discussion a bit.

2) My interest makes me willing to struggle. 

    I recognize the teacher's objective in assigning a 6 page paper. Writing a coherent paper forces the student to engage with the ideas contained in books on an entirely different plane than can be reached by reading alone.

    Certainly, reading can result in "learning" facts and ideas - on a recall level. But to truly comprehend a topic requires struggling with ideas of others and then using them to synthesize your own - and that calls for writing. 


I bring this up today to say there are parallels here with growing in our knowledge of God and His word. 

Do I need to spell them out? 



No comments:

Post a Comment