Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, December 18, 2022

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

A USB drive arrived in the mail yesterday - a Christmas gift from my brother Spencer. 

When I plugged it into my computer, images I hadn't seen in over 40 years came to life. 

It was a much too short list of frustratingly short family movies from my childhood - mostly Christmas footage from when I was under 5 years old. 

There is no sound to any of them but the films were hypnotic. I have watched them through several times already. And each viewing hits me hard in the feels. 

Tonight I took some screen shots.

Here's me at 2.


Mom holding me ... and smiling. 


Mom with my oldest brother, Ryan. On top of the TV is the snow scene Mom made fresh every year with a mix of soap flakes and ... something. Borax?


In one scene, Mom opens a gift to find a pearl necklace. (Was it made of real pearls? How did Dad afford that?) She is fighting back tears.


Our stockings hanging at the fireplace. I recognized these and so many of the toys scattered across the floor and the ornaments on the tree.


Our dog Sue Sue was on screen for a total of 3 seconds. How is that possible? The dogs in my house currently demand to be in the spotlight and at the center of attention 24/7. 


Dad got slightly more screen time than the dog. Not much. I had to remind myself that he was the man behind the camera. So in that sense, he was in every scene. 



No comments:

Post a Comment